Friday, August 1, 2008

Home Teaching


Disclaimer: Sensitive matter and personal opinions are just that opinion. I do not like to dabble in religious matters, I am however opening the door for discussion.

Listen,
Has everyone seen the movie, "Home Teacher's"? Based on a couple of home teacher's that have an adventure trying to do their home teaching. The movie is great, because one companion is a "letter of the law" the other is a slacker. Near the end of the movie, the letter of the law companion has a softer heart, based on the fact that his life isn't so great, while the other slacker sees the need to pay more attention to what his family is doing and what he is missing out on.

So our ward has two elders quorums. I like that because I don't feel lost in a shuffle. Although I do not want to draw attention at the same time. I have known my companion briefly, met him once called him several times by phone. I felt like it was my responsibility to "let God know, I wanted to be a good home teacher" and actually want to go home teaching with a good feeling about it, I believe that by doing so, I would "bless my house" because of the desire to do something good, and it is asked of me. I am not going to complain about making appointments, and follow-up, I know what it is, I served a mission, I have been a home teacher for some time now. I recently got a phone call from my elders quorum asking me about did you see your families this month. The voice on the phone could not have been more dead to me then if it was Lurch from the Addams Family, "you rang".
During the conversation, I was asked had so-and-so come to see our family, my answer: no, we have never had home teachers since we have lived here in Stansbury Park. The secretary on the phone apologized. I said what for, it isn't your responsibility to be sorry because no one has come over to tell me one of President Monson's stories. How should you be apologizing for someone else's opportunity to receive a blessing? If home teachers don't want to come see our family, that really doesn't change my testimony. I have to answer for the same question as well. I don't want to cause a lighting bolt because I didn't make an honest effort to do something about home teaching. I call, and meet my companion, but I constantly get "dogged". I understand what being "dogged" means. I served a mission. I want to home teach for my benefit, not for someone else. Selfish, perhaps but if I do my home teaching it would be in a spirit of meaningful purpose, and not because it is a duty. So I am going to go with or without my companion, I will take my son, or one of my neighbors. Needless to say, I hate getting a phone call, asking me how did I do this week and what can I do better for next week. Let me tell you, I will write about it in my next letter to the mission president. Does that bring back some memories for anyone? My intention is to get some advise, anyone have some?

12 comments:

Misty Moncur August 2, 2008 at 10:13 AM  

Yeah I think the dude should return your calls and not just got without you. But what do I know?

Bob August 2, 2008 at 11:43 AM  

What's home teaching?

Robert August 2, 2008 at 10:18 PM  

I have mixed feelings about home teaching, but probably because I don't really care about people. It sounds like you care, or at least want to care, and that is the key I think. I don't think the action of actually visiting is what brings blessings, but caring about and for people is what it's about, whether you go or not.

Misty Moncur August 3, 2008 at 12:36 AM  

Grizzly Adams did have a beard.

Dave August 3, 2008 at 10:08 AM  

Thanks Rob, I'm good enuf, and people like me.

Bob, home teaching is when you expect cookie in return, when you tell strangers in your ward about the pioneers.

Misty, I'm gonna have to see the evidence.

Gary August 3, 2008 at 11:32 AM  

Yep, Home teaching is when you go around to members of the ward and tell see how they are doing and if they need anything.

oh and dave Grizzly adams did have a beard check my blog HEE HEE HEE HEE

chickychick1975 August 3, 2008 at 7:29 PM  

slacker companions ehe? The real test of faith. You gotta kill your companion..............with.... Christ's love. Does your companion know that you care about him? Does he know that you know about his needs and family? HAve you built a relationship of trust? If not....please get a new companion....best of luck....

The Eggleston family August 3, 2008 at 8:54 PM  

Okay, so I DEFINITELY know what you're talking about. I've been in my ward for a little under a year now and I'm starting to feel like I need to get off my duff and do something. So I call my companion, (my name is first in the list, so what, does that make me the senior??? I dunno,) and set up a few appointments. I have been assigned to this guy for as long as I've lived in the ward and I haven't heard from him. Come to find out, we home teach HIS home teacher who comes every month! Another thing, he home teaches HIS SISTER and her family. He's NEVER been there in the capacity of their home teacher (until last month when I made things go down).

Well, to shorten my story and get to the point, while we were home teaching, both his sister and the other family we were able to get a hold of, he talked about different wards he was in where it was always 100% home teaching and I'm just wondering how cause we're hitting a pretty low number in our companionship. I don't like using that word, it makes him sound like my wife. Anyway, the point is that I'm irritated that I go to all this work to make an effort and the next month, when it's CLEARLY his turn, he totally drops the ball and we nobody even gets a call. We're not even as good as Visiting Teachers! How do you like that?! I can't wait till I have a son so I can just take him and pretend that's good enough!

Good luck, my friend, I really have no advice for you but to say that you're not alone. If you want to come to Texas and help me out, I'll go with you next time I'm in Utah.

Dave August 4, 2008 at 5:28 PM  

Jared,

Splits in Texas would rock!
B-B-'Que, hot chicks, and no mission rules!

Maybe when you and Mrs. Jared are heavy with child we can come to the baby blessing?

The Eggleston family August 4, 2008 at 9:00 PM  

Whatever we have to do to get some friends or family to come visit!

Lisa August 5, 2008 at 4:01 PM  

I think if you put for the effort, you'll get the blessings. You won't be punished for your companions lack of enthusiasm. Take someone else you like so you can pass the blessings onto them!

Poohbear August 6, 2008 at 12:55 PM  

U think Homeeaching is hard....Try Visiting Teaching they both do the same....keep UR chin up and keep on tring......

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP